This is my second blog in the series of moving from CRM 4 to CRM 2011 in different scenarios. My first blog described the alternative of move a CRM 4 installation to new SQL Server 2012. After some consideration, the customer has decided to update the CRM 4 solution to CRM 2011 instead of just moving to a new SQL Server. The actual move to the new SQL Server 2012 involved a additional cost since the CRM 4 had to be updated with latest Rollup 21 to be compatible with SQL Server 2012.
After some googling and reading through the quite large, unreadable, exhausting to read. Yes, you get the information you need, but I can’t understand why Microsoft can’t write better installation guides. They surely have the man power.
After some consideration, I decided to do the following:
- Install a new CRM 2011 server and use the new SQL 2012 server
- Take a backup of the organisation database on the old SQL 2005 server
- Use CRM 2011 Deployment Manager to disable/delete the current “dummy” organsation
- Restore CRM 4 organisation database (from SQL 2005) on the new SQL 2012 server
- Use CRM 2011 Deployment Manager to import the CRM 4 organisation database